Wednesday, February 18, 2009

philosophy

i was really excited to take philosophy 202, contemporary moral problems before the semester started. 

the first day of class my professor asked the whole class whether or not we thought any culture's moral beliefs are any more or less justified than another's.  I said no. That every other culture has a right to their values & beliefs (whatever they may be) just as we are entitled to believe in freedom & equality for example.  

apparently i was wrong. 

The next day of class, my professor asked the whole class whether or not we had a moral obligation to help the poor.  I said yes, as I have been raised to always "keep the poor in my heart" as my grandfather often says.  

again, apparently i was wrong.  

I asked for an example of a moral obligation because if helping the poor isn't, then i really don't know what is.  
Do you know what my professor said?  "Anything with strong evidence."
I still don't understand how something so subjective can have evidence.  And i also don't understand why i'm being taught matters of opinion as factual.  

I'm completely appalled. still. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahh Gillian! I am so behind and I am so sorry :) I added you to my blogroll, so that it'll tell me when you make a post. And that is crazy about that class. and i am confused too. did she explain WHY that wasn't a moral obligation?

    ReplyDelete