Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LOOSE TOOTH!

I have this condition where most of my permanent teeth never developed in my gums. My doctors say it's genetic except no one in my family, as far back as we can trace, has ever had this condition [although, strangely my mom's best friend, Sue, has it].

So when everyone was raking in cash from the tooth fairy in second and third grade, I lost eight teeth. I started out with only 20 teeth as opposed to the normal 24, and I lost only 8.

To this day I still have 11 baby teeth - I had to get one of my molars pulled to make room in my mouth for orthodontic business that I don't really understand. The point of the story is that as my second decade of life is coming to a close and I merge into adulthood, I will bring with me my baby teeth.

Well, now one of those teeth is loose! When there isn't a permanent tooth breaking baby teeth's roots, apparently you can keep your babies well into your 20s, but eventually the roots become too weak to hold the tooth in place as your gums develop.

So now what? Well, here comes the part I'm not so happy about. I have to go to an oral surgeon. Not only do I have to see him, but he has to drill holes into my gums and my upper jaw. Then he'll screw a false root [implant] into my jawbone and once everything heals up [could take up to 6 months], I'll get my shiny new false teeth screwed on tight.

OH GOODNESS.

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness that sounds terrifying!! eep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man-- i get nightmares about teeth, oral surgery and my entire jaw coming loose and pulling out of my head. (i blame intensive oral surgery at 6 years old) .... sorry the tooth fairy is coming so late and it requires surgery...

    ReplyDelete