Wednesday, October 28, 2009

thoughts on social conditioning

It feels a little strange to be writing this while i watch the first game of the world series, but oh well!

Last night I had an assignment for my marketing class to take an association quiz, which would measure how closely i associate gender to career. Going into the quiz, i knew my results would show at least some association between males & career and females & family simply because of our society - which is still not completely blind to gender. However I definitely did not expect my results to tell me that I, personally, make a strong association between gender and career.

For most of my life both of my parents had very demanding careers. Seven years ago my dad decided that his career wasn't fulfilling anymore. So my mom has been the only one that I've associated with a career for a while now. Considering this, my quiz results got me thinking about how big a role social conditioning actually plays in our lives. It amazes me how much we learn without knowing it & the associations we make even while blatantly trying to avoid making them.
Even though there were several design flaws in the quiz, the inner-feminist inside myself cringed as i considered my results. I actually felt ashamed for a little while.

But I do have to admit: as feminist as I may be (which isn't as much as people generally think), i have always wanted to be a housewife. It's one of those little contradictions i'll never quite understand. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment