Thursday, September 9, 2010

Why I Don't Like Record Stores

I never have. I know that I should have a particular reason, but until recently I didn't. All I knew was that I have never felt quite comfortable perusing around the stacks. I never felt like the staff made me uncomfortable (usually it's quite the opposite). It was never the other consumers, although some of them -whom I presume are "regulars" - have quite a habit of throwing sneering glances across the room.



It came to me today. The reason that I don't like record stores is because they all organize their music in the same way - by genre. This is a very intuitive way to organize such a vast collection, and I don't have any suggestions for alternative methods, but it's always bothered me because I don't know exactly how to classify the kind of music I like. Probably because there are many influences from different genres in the music that I tend to find appealing (and most current music). In any case, I usually leave a record store completely unsatisfied, and even more befuddled about genres than I had been before I went in the place.



So let me save you a trip to the record store if you share my qualms. These are some of my favorite songs from a bunch of artists (most of which I recently discovered). No genres. No classifications. No explanations. Just songs =)

The only thing I'll say about this list is that none of the songs are particularly happy. In fact, most of them are languid and some of them are sad.


  1. Mynabirds - What we Lose in the Fire

  2. Horse Feathers - Belly of June

  3. Mumford & Sons - White Blank Page (among so many others)

  4. Villagers - Becoming a Jackal

  5. Villagers - Twenty Seven Strangers

  6. Sarah Jaffe - Before You Go

  7. Dave Matthews Band - Funny the Way it Is

  8. Griffin House -

  9. Mayer Hawthorne - Maybe So, Maybe No

  10. The Unthanks - Here's the Tender Coming

No comments:

Post a Comment